Methodology of Scientific Research
|Tittle||Methodology of Scientific Research|
|Cycle (first/second)||Second Cycle|
|Semester when the component is delivered||1st semester|
|Course description|| The subject of the course "Methodology of Scientific
Research” includes methods, techniques, instruments, and processes of
performing scientific research in the field of economics.
The aim of this course is to provide students with the body of theoretical knowledge and practical skills of scientific work, master the methodology and organisation of scientific research in economics, which is necessary for successful performance of functional responsibilities of the economist or manager at company or other organisation, as well as to develop the skills of preparing and presenting the thesis according to the requirements of Higher Education in Ukraine.
The course consists of two parts. The first part covers general introduction to methodology of scientific research, including the topics on the principles of science and scientific research and basic concepts and principles of scientific creative work. The second part focuses on the logic of realising the scientific work, elaboration of the model of research, methods of research, and techniques of thesis defence.
Module 1. The essence and elements of scientific researchTopic 1. Theoretical foundations of scientific and research work.
Topic 2. General methodology of scientific creative work.
Topic 3. The logic of scientific research process.
Module 2. Peculiarities of performing scientific researchTopic 4. The model of research.
Topic 5. Methods of applied research.
Topic 6. Techniques of thesis preparation and defence.
|Learning outcomes|| Upon completion of the course, the students should
- the essence and contents of science, and the problems of scientific development as a coherent methodological and sociological system of knowledge about science;
- classification of sciences, in particular classification of economic sciences;
- classification of economic specialities in the system of higher education in Ukraine and Europe;
- the essence and features of scientific knowledge;
- the contents of the methodology of research;
- general philosophical methods of research (dialectics and its structural elements: principles, laws, categories);
- general economic methods of research (analysis, synthesis, abstractions, generalisation, induction, deduction, analogy, systems method, structural and functional method, cybernetics and probability methods, modeling, incl. Correlation and regression, extrapolation techniques, formalizations, idealisation, axiomatic method, historical and logical methods);
- specialised scientific methods of research;
- the logic of performing the scientific research;
- the peculiarities of collecting, processing, filtering and systematising scientific facts;
- the mechanism of articulating and formulating the problem;
- the contents and essence of the scientific hypothesis;
- the role of theory in scientific research;
- the peculiarities of theoretical and empirical levels of scientific research;
- the peculiarities of economic methodology;
- the stages of scientific work;
- the structure of scientific work;
- the procedure of defending the thesis in front of the scientific commission;
- the formatting requirement for the thesis.
Upon completion of the course the students should be able to:
- select the appropriate methods of research that fit best the tasks and goal of the research;
- select the problem of research, formulate the topic of thesis, reveal actuality of the problem, articulate the goal and tasks of research, its subject and object;
- to distinguish between theoretical, analytical and recommendations parts of the research thesis, and correctly organise the material of the thesis;
- to discover and articulate the novelty of research;
- to critically assess the results of scientific work, its theoretical, methodical, or practical value;
- to independently perform research, avoid plagiarism and comply with norms of material compilations;
- to correctly format the thesis according to the requirements of higher education in Ukraine;
- to use technologies that can simplify research in economics (electronic databases, statistical and mathematical software, etc.).
Tittles and description of competencies, which the studying of the discipline provides:
- the ability to define the concept and content knowledge and methodology of scientific research;
- the ability to determine the structure and algorithm scientific research;
- the ability to give characteristics, conditions and stages of organization of research work of the researcher and the requirements for writing a thesis;
- the ability to choose the research problem, formulate research topic (thesis) work, to show the relevance of the problems investigated, to set goals and objectives, object and subject of study;
- the ability to identify novelty that will make scientific interest;
- the ability to determine the procedure for registration and protection of the thesis.
Contact hours (lectures/seminars)
Number of ECTS credits allocated